Tuesday, May 6, 2014

"Talk Derby to me" Kentucky Derby Party!



Part One Decor and Drinks



Day drinking, sunshine, sunglasses, big hats, dresses, seersucker, Lilly, and Vinyard Vines... Count me in! Like a true Kentuckian I love the Kentucky Derby! It's my favorite day of the year!



Since once again I couldn't leave the great state of Texas to return home for races I had to celebrate here instead. So I invited all the friends not studying for grad school finals over for some drinking, eating, games and gambling.


I find that Derby is a great theme for any party. So... don't wait till next year to throw your derby party! Here are some DIYs from our party!

Decorations


There are amazing free printables from Hostess with the Mostest Blog that I have used for the past 2 years that are so beautiful! She throws an amazing Derby Garden Party, but my party planning is not quite on the level yet... If I can't do it the night before or day of it's not happening.

Free Printable PDF from Hostess with the Mostest Blog

I made a wreath for our door very easily with a rose chain garland from Joann's that I wrapped around a wire wreath. I then hot glued some of the smaller free printables and mini Makers Mark bottles :)


And since the Derby is the Run for the Roses and the Rose is the official flower of the Derby we made some dyed coffee filter roses (wonderful, beautiful tutorial on how to do this at Aunt Peaches) to hang up around the house.

Drinks




For a derby party you've gotta have the classic derby drinks. The official drink of the derby is a Mint Julep.


They're actually very easy to make:


Here's how to make simple syrup

   Simple Syrup:
     -Boil 2 cups water
     -Add 2 cups powdered sugar
     -Stir till it dissolves and add 5-6 sprigs of mint
     -Cool in the refrigerator overnight for extra minty taste



If your not a big bourbon drinker The Lily is the official drink of The Oaks (the friday before the Derby when the phillies race). The lily is my drink of choice!



*if you're making a pitcher do 1 part Vodka, 1 part Sweet and Sour, 3 parts Cranberry Juice and 1 part Triple Sec. For my pitcher 1 part was 2 cups.


Allie


Get ready! Next week I'll be posting the recipes I made and the games we played.







No comments:

Post a Comment